[sdiy] Gluing Broken Keys Back Together?

Adam Schabtach lists at studionebula.com
Thu Sep 23 22:16:57 CEST 2010

If Paul has had great success just using super glue, I'd do that. He's had
experience with keys in particular; I've just had experience with glue in
general. :-)

Clamps will not be necessary for super glue if the break is clean and the
parts fit together well. It might help if you can put the two parts on a
flat surface, apply the glue, then slide the parts together. You obviously
don't want to glue the parts to that surface, but if that happens it will be
a very tiny point of bonding between the key and the surface (I'm
envisioning the key placed right-side-up) and hence will break free easily
once the glue has dried. Excess glue shouldn't be much of an issue; CA glue
works best when used sparingly.

If you can't put the pieces on a flat surface, just hold them together with
your hands for the 30 seconds or so that the glue takes to set. (Read the
instructions for the recommended time.) CA glues work very quickly.

Let us know how it goes!

--Adam

drill