[sdiy] Gluing Broken Keys Back Together?

mike ruberto somnium7 at gmail.com
Thu Sep 23 21:57:29 CEST 2010

Ok so with a proper epoxy or superglue, a clamp, little braces and the
help of gravity I should be able to get the key together without a
mess. I suppose I will go over to the local Lowes and buy a few
different advesives and then carefully test them on the part of the
key you normally won't see to make sure it won't discolor or otherwise
disfigure the material.

I will give Liquid Nails a try since I remember once using it
successfully to repair a broken glass window. Not only did the glass
hold together but it didn't leak either!

The pins would have been a nice idea if I had some accurate way to
make the holes line up perfectly. That isn't going to happen with a
hand drill though.

What if I used a piece of double-sided tape as a fixture? I could
place adhesive on the two ends of the key, then fit them together and
stick them to the tape. While held in place on the tape I could place
the support bracing on the underside with the epoxy. The tape would
act as both a clamp and like painters tape to prevent excess glue from
flowing onto the top surface of the key. Hmmmm....