[sdiy] Gluing Broken Keys Back Together?

Ben Lincoln blincoln at eventualdecline.com
Thu Sep 23 17:07:34 CEST 2010

I was going to suggest something along these lines as well. If there is
enough volume to the keys, use a very small drill bit (e.g. 1/32") drill
holes into them, squeeze epoxy/superglue/etc into the holes, and embed
something like a sewing needle between the two parts to bridge the
actual break point. If there's not (or you're concerned about damaging
them even further), then reinforcing with a rectangular piece of plastic
in a non-visible part of the key works too.

It probably goes without saying, but if you can clamp the pieces
together while the glue is drying, so much the better.

I'm sure it's been discussed extensively before, but it seems to me like
this is one of the many areas that at-home CNC/3D-printing equipment
will make a lot easier in the next 10-20 years. Why try to piece back
together keys (or track down obscure replacements) when you can just
manufacture your own?