[sdiy] MKS-70 Switch internal transformer from US 117 to UK 240

Richard Atkinson rga24 at cantab.net
Thu Sep 16 23:47:14 CEST 2010

I just had a look inside my USA MKS-80. The power supply transformer has
two taps, one for 100V (Japan voltage) and another for 117V (USA). It's
clearly a 117V/100V device with no alternative wiring for 220V/240V. So
there is no possibility of rewiring the USA MKS-80 transformer for 240V
operation. It would have to be replaced with another transformer.

The MKS-70 service manual on the other hand seems to indicate that there
are 100V, 117V, 220V and 240V taps on the MKS-70 transformer. (page 33 out
of 44)

Apart from that, the mains input filters are different between 100/117V,
220V and 240V, and there are different power connectors between
100/117/220V and 240V.