[sdiy] Real-world Eurorack signal chain advice...

Justin Owen juzowen at googlemail.com
Tue Sep 14 13:09:00 CEST 2010

Hey all,

I've recently started putting together a small Eurorack system. I'm also working on a waveshaper design and was hoping for some guidance on how to handle various types of signal inputs.

+/-10 Volts is considered to be a good, wide-range CV. Fine.

Most VCOs/LFOs are quoted as outputting 10V PP. In reality though, even from the few modules I have here, that could mean an output of anything between 5v PP and 15V PP.

So - would you prefer:

1) A module that could handle 20V PP (i.e. +/- 10V PP regardless of whether it was CV or a *hot* waveform) and provide some sort of on-board amplification/biasing for smaller/quieter waveforms.

2) As above - but presume that the serious user will have their own ways/dedicated modules for handling amplification/biasing/attenuation, etc.

3) Go with the quoted *standards* of 10V PP for waveforms and provide some sort of on-board attenuation/biasing for bigger/louder waveforms.

4) As above - but presume that the serious user will have their own ways/dedicated modules for handling attenuation/biasing, etc.

Seems like #2 is the most sensible 'big picture' solution to me but the whole modular/Euro thing is still pretty new to me so I'm still working out workflow, etc. There's possibly no right or wrong to this - answers appreciated as always.

Cheers: J