[sdiy] Allen Strange book

David G. Dixon dixon at interchange.ubc.ca
Mon Sep 13 22:26:11 CEST 2010

> Which books would you recommend?
> Also for someone who doesn't have much experience (like me)? :)
> For beginners...

My $0.02 (CDN) worth:

For general analog synthesizer info, IMHO the best book I've seen is the one
by Devarahi.  After that, probably the Roland set of four little softcover
books I bought when I was about 20 years old.

Honestly, I get more out of electronics books than books about electronic
music.  For synth circuits in general, my most important influence has been
websites, starting with Ray Wilson's amazing Music From Outer Space.  I
spent six months lurking there before I even realized there were other sites
worth looking at.  Ken Stone's Catgirl Synth site is also awesome, but not
as "tutorial" as Ray's site, and therefore not really as useful to the total
noob.

People say that Electronotes is useful, but I've always been too cheap to
plunk down the $300 required to get it.  I've managed to live without it.
In any case, I have a feeling that a lot of the stuff in the most useful
parts is a) probably a bit obsolete, and b) thoroughly covered in other web
and print resources (like Chamberlin, for example).

So, my advice: spend some quality time with a few of electronics textbooks
(Malvino and Horowitz & Hill have served me well, plus a couple of good
books on opamps like Coughlin & Driscoll, and maybe a book on digital
design), and also have a look at some circuits on MFOS or CGS and try
building some simple stuff yourself, from scratch.  You'll be building your
own modular synth before you know it.