[sdiy] brainwaves to CV :O)

Amos controlvoltage at gmail.com
Thu Sep 9 15:13:16 CEST 2010

The quickness of response attainable, and the amount of voluntary
control, would depend very much on what brain signals are being
monitored.  What brain signals you can monitor depends very much on
the cost and invasiveness of the interface.

I just want a line output for the audio consciousness - so a
performance could consist of purely imagining sound and then hearing
it. I think it would be a fundamental leap and I hope I live long
enough to see it.

On 9/9/10, Dave Kendall <davekendall at ntlworld.com> wrote:

> On Sep 9, 2010, at 09:25, Rutger Vlek wrote:
>> If a software or hardware module would exist that allows you to map
>> brain-signals to CV or MIDI, who would use it? Let's assume that you
>> can't play the synth keys directly from you brain, but that you can
>> only control one parameter (i.e. filter cutoff, while you play
>> manually).
>
> If it can only be one controller, I'd go for pitch, with a keyboard
> providing gating, and the keyboard's initial velocity controlling
> amplitude from the tone generator. If using the brain generated pitch
> controller in absolute pitch mode, (as opposed to relative - i.e. pitch
> bend) the actual keys played wouldn't matter, the keys would only
> provide the rhythm, and amplitude from velocity. A drum pad could even
> maybe be used to simplify this.
>
> I think it would be best if the pitch control was a continuous one, not
> quantized to the notes of a scale. This would allow some great pitch
> swoops and portamento effects, just like a really amazing singer.. I
> guess a sort of super ribbon controller...
>

> cheers,
> Dave
> (back to reality again. Ho hum... ;-)
>

>> Best,
>>
>> Rutger
>>
>> On 9 sep 2010, at 09:48, xamboldt wrote:
>>
>>> You can pick one up at the toy store:
>>>
>>> http://matrixsynth.blogspot.com/2010/09/apples-in-stereo-teletron-
>>> mind-control.html
>>>
>>> -Chris