[sdiy] brainwaves to CV :O)

Dave Kendall davekendall at ntlworld.com
Thu Sep 9 12:47:04 CEST 2010

On Sep 9, 2010, at 09:25, Rutger Vlek wrote:
> If a software or hardware module would exist that allows you to map
> brain-signals to CV or MIDI, who would use it? Let's assume that you
> can't play the synth keys directly from you brain, but that you can
> only control one parameter (i.e. filter cutoff, while you play
> manually).

If it can only be one controller, I'd go for pitch, with a keyboard
providing gating, and the keyboard's initial velocity controlling
amplitude from the tone generator. If using the brain generated pitch
controller in absolute pitch mode, (as opposed to relative - i.e. pitch
bend) the actual keys played wouldn't matter, the keys would only
provide the rhythm, and amplitude from velocity. A drum pad could even
maybe be used to simplify this.

I think it would be best if the pitch control was a continuous one, not
quantized to the notes of a scale. This would allow some great pitch
swoops and portamento effects, just like a really amazing singer.. I
guess a sort of super ribbon controller...

cheers,
Dave
(back to reality again. Ho hum... ;-)