[sdiy] Glide question

Tom Wiltshire tom at electricdruid.net
Mon Sep 6 20:56:12 CEST 2010

On 6 Sep 2010, at 12:47, cheater cheater wrote:

> I guess you can get a constant-time linear glide too, since you know
> the endpoints - the values of the steps you are gliding through - so
> that should be easy (for someone who knows what they're doing, i.e.
> not me!)

In the digital domain this would be easy. Analogue, I'm not so sure. You'd need to alter the integrator charging current based on the size of the step. Still, it isn't impossible.

> The idea with the asymmetric RC filter is also very good. I should
> check it out! How would that work with an integrator (for asymmetric
> linear glide)? Is there such a thing as an asymmetric integrator?

Not by that name AFAIK, but that's basically what Harry Bissell's MorphLag circuit is. The diodes give you different resistances for the charge and discharge.

> What shape do you guys think is better for glide on step sequencers?

Depends on the purpose, I guess. For pitch, I think I prefer the RC slow-approach sound. For control voltages, perhaps a linear slide would be appropriate.

T.