[sdiy] Glide question

cheater cheater cheater00 at gmail.com
Mon Sep 6 13:47:56 CEST 2010

Hi guys!

Thanks for the amazing replies. This thread is very informative.

On Sat, Sep 4, 2010 at 21:14, Antti Huovilainen
<antti.huovilainen at iki.fi> wrote:
> The other alternative is linear glide, where the CV moves at a
> constant rate (possibly recalculated for each new note) towards the
> target value. You could achieve this by using one-pole OTA lowpass
> filter and heavily overdriving the input, so that the tanh() clipper
> limits the rate of change to Ictrl.

Thanks for the reply, Antti. I wonder which glide would be better for
a step sequencer. I will try to find a synth with linear guide and see
how it works.

On Sat, Sep 4, 2010 at 21:36, Olivier Gillet <ol.gillet at gmail.com> wrote:
> There are two ways of doing glide/portamento:
> - "constant time" in which sliding between C3 and C5 takes as much
> time as sliding between C3 and C4.
> - "constant rate" in which sliding between C3 and C5 takes twice as
> much time as sliding between C3 and C4.

I think what I want is "constant time"...

On Sat, Sep 4, 2010 at 22:33, Tom Wiltshire <tom at electricdruid.net> wrote:
> an RC filter (VC or not) gives you constant time. An integrator (again, VC
> or not) would give you constant rate. There is one other difference between
> them - one is a cap charging curve, and therefore the glide slows down as
> it approaches the target note, whereas the other is linear wrt to pitch and
> glides at the same rate all the way to the target.

Thanks. I'm actually not sure which one I would want for this. The RC
filter gives you the cap charging curve, while the integrator gives
you the linear response.

I guess you can get a constant-time linear glide too, since you know
the endpoints - the values of the steps you are gliding through - so
that should be easy (for someone who knows what they're doing, i.e.
not me!)

The idea with the asymmetric RC filter is also very good. I should
check it out! How would that work with an integrator (for asymmetric
linear glide)? Is there such a thing as an asymmetric integrator?

What shape do you guys think is better for glide on step sequencers?

Thanks,
D.