[sdiy] Bare-bones, stand-alone MIDI I/O modules?

Justin Owen juzowen at googlemail.com
Sat Nov 20 17:57:16 CET 2010

Hey all,

Reading through the posts about Neil Johnson's MIDI parser and dusting off my Arduino board [yeah, yeah - all you hardcore coder types can stop giggling ;) ] got me wondering what stand-alone MIDI I/O modules are out there?

Not (necessarily) looking to buy one so I don't really have a preference for language or platform - I'm  more interested in trying to gauge what features they had.

I'd prefer to see examples of ready made or kits rather than "here's some code" - but I'm open to whatever. I'm looking at this from the perspective of someone who is designing things that might be controlled via MIDI rather than someone who wants to code MIDI - if that makes sense.

For example - Sparkfun has this for MIDI to USB in:

http://www.sparkfun.com/products/9108

I know there's loads of others - what are they?

Thanks much,

Justin