[sdiy] MIDI bytestream parser

Tom Wiltshire tom at electricdruid.net
Tue Nov 16 14:00:28 CET 2010

On 16 Nov 2010, at 11:36, Olivier Gillet wrote:

> But even with a crappy
> compiler, the generated code is likely to be of higher quality than
> what an average assembly programmer does... I'm not sure every
> assembly programmer would know how to code a jump table anyway!

Those kind of assembly "programmers" had better stay out of my way, then.

I've been trying to get back into C for exactly this kind of job, but have spent so long doing assembly now that I actually find it easier, since it's what I'm used to. I need to be able to see some good reasons to make the effort to get over the hump with C, but to be honest I'm not finding them.

But your comments are all very interesting, and I see the development from one style to the other that you've gone through. I also understand your remark about Neil needing to write good, clean, cross-platform code.

Thanks,
Tom