[sdiy] 0.100 pin header reliability.

Neil Johnson neil.johnson97 at ntlworld.com
Mon Nov 15 23:36:57 CET 2010

Hi,

David G. Dixon wrote:
> Fair enough.  However, for me, crimping is never the rate-limiting
> step in
> panel wiring.  Plus, having a hand-held crimping tool is very
> important for
> the way I do my panel wiring.

That _is_ for a handheld tool!  For some googling, if you're
interested, look up DMC or Daniels or any of the professional AMP
crimp tools.

> The multipin connectors on my board are
> organized in a fairly logical fashion, and I tend to make all the
> connections to a given connector at once.  For example, if I've got
> a 6-pin
> connector with wires going to a couple of pots, say, then I solder
> all the
> leads to the pots first.  Then I gather the wires into a bunch and
> cut them
> all to the proper length (much like a barber cuts hair).  Then I
> strip and
> crimp, plug the pins into the connector, plug the connector to the
> board,
> bundle up the wires with a plastic tie, and move on to the next
> connector.
> For this technique, a hand-held crimper is essential.

Hmmmphh.... sounds like you need to read up about IDC connectors.  6
wires you say?  Get a 6-pin IDC header and socket, strip out a length
of 6-wide IDC cable, and you can crimp on the IDC socket in a vice
in, oh, 5 seconds.  Job done.  No need to mess around with a
soldering iron.

Cheers,
Neil
--