[sdiy] Best kept secret of amazing electronics books

Thomas Strathmann thomas at pdp7.org
Mon Nov 15 20:17:03 CET 2010

On 11/15/10 18:40 , cheater cheater wrote:
>> I did not know this book either. It addresses one of the issues I had with
>> Art of Electronics: Sometimes it's a very light on descriptions or
>> explanations. The Student Manual seems to fix this. But I find it irritating
>> that a book about electronics has so little maths. You can write in such a
>> way that (a) the math content is not essential to the main text, but rather
>> an addition for those who want an in-depth understanding, and (b) people who
>> don't know about things like differential equations can learn the basics
>> from an engineer's point of view along the way. Solving a linear ODE with
>> fixed coefficients is just applying a recipe or algorithm if you will and
>> until I learned about it I never had the feeling that I understand even the
>> most basic circuits with capacitors or inductors.
>
> What book do you suggest that does that?
> I'm very good with my maths...

Then you don't need a book that holds your hand with calculus and stuff.
I like Tietze/Schenk - Halbleiterschaltungstechnik. It's certainly not
ideal, but it covers a lot of ground including the maths involved,
signal transmission, basic control theory, etc. Dunno about the English
translation (in case you need that). One thing the authors got right was
the omission of a chapter on microcomputers. Older editions had that,
but such a chapter just gets old and is not really useful. Certainly
much less material in the current edition that gets obsolete any time soon.

	Thomas