[sdiy] Soldering aluminium, (was: 0.100 pin header reliability).

David Brown davebr at earthlink.net
Mon Nov 15 20:14:35 CET 2010

I bought some aluminum brazing (soldering) rod years ago.  It was
made in Olympia, Washington, but I don't see it now in a Google
search.  I think it was a zinc alloy.  I probably have a lifetime supply.

It "solders" aluminum pretty well.  I've done a reasonable amount of
brazing with it.  The main issue is aluminum goes from the solid to
liquid state with no change in appearance (unlike steel).  One
moment, what you are brazing is there, and the next moment it's
gone.  You have to continuously monitor the heat.  Also, if you are
brazing on opposite ends of a piece, aluminum conducts heat so well
that you will "un"braze the opposite end you are working on.  You
have to use heat sinks to keep the brazed work cool.

For Synth-DIY I brazed an aluminum bracket for my Blacet Miniwave.  I
needed a top on the mounting bracket for the Tellun JLH2090CV
board.  There is a picture of the brazed bracket on my Miniwave page.
http://modularsynthesis.com/blacet/miniwave/miniwave.htm

Dave