[sdiy] 0.100 pin header reliability.

David Ingebretsen dingebre at 3dphysics.net
Fri Nov 12 06:06:21 CET 2010

I'll share some of my limited experiences. Stew makes some good points about
soldering v. crimping. However, in theory, if you use the proper tool for
inserting the wire into the female connector, the wire "cold welds" to the
female pin and forms an airtight, therefore corrosion resistant bond. I've
been using this tool:

http://www.mouser.com/Search/ProductDetail.aspx?R=58074-1virtualkey57100000v
irtualkey571-580741

with this head:

http://www.mouser.com/Search/ProductDetail.aspx?R=58246-1virtualkey57100000v
irtualkey571-58246-1

with these female connectors:

http://www.mouser.com/Search/ProductDetail.aspx?R=3-640440-6virtualkey571000
00virtualkey571-3-640440-6

They seem to make a very good mechanical connection and haven't had a
failure in several hundred individual connections.

As to the female to male reliability, I don't pack my stuff very often. I
recently took my two tall racks which contain several modules using this
type of connector in the back of my Tahoe and had no problem. But that is
only one trip.

I using these connectors exclusively with my Synthasystem resurrection which
will be racked into Gator portable cases. I'll know more as time goes on.

If you get the male/female with locking tabs, you will probably have better
luck with regard to vibration. Most commonly used metals in electronics will
oxidize especially if used in a corrosive environment so any connector,
short of an expensive specialized sealed connector, will probably oxidize
over time depending on where it is stored/used.

David