[sdiy] Yamaha CSY-2 solo synthesizer

Richard Atkinson rga24 at cantab.net
Wed Nov 10 12:21:24 CET 2010

You can summarise the differences as follows:

CSY-1 and SY-1 are the most similar. I believe they are contemporaneous.
Both solo synthesizers exist in two forms, one with a single, large SM
board containing all the NE modules, and a later version with SM1 and SM2
boards, one containing VCO-III, VCF-LPF, VCF-HPF and EG-VCF, the other
containing EG-VCA.

Incidentally the earlier version has a VCO-II module rather than a VCO-III
module, this is documented in the SY-1 service manual. My CSY-1 service
manual only mentions the earlier version; there is no mention of the later
version, but these are known to exist because there are pictures of one at:

http://www.imoose.nl/electone/details/csy-1.htm

They both feature two effects called Attack Bend, one for Pitch and one for
Tone. These are both decay envelopes which affect the VCO frequency and VCF
frequencies respectively. On the CSY-1 organ both effects are preset, it's
simply on or off. On the SY-1 synthesizer, Attack Bend Pitch is preset
while Attack Bend Tone has controls for intensity and time.

It's interesting to note that the Attack Bend Tone envelope is in addition
to the standard filter envelope, which is completely preset on the CSY-1
and SY-1.

Additionally the SY-1 has a control for pulse width which the CSY-1 lacks.

SY-2 came later and exists only in a version with SM1 and SM2 boards. It
may be that the change from a single SM board to SM1 and SM2 was prompted
by the SY-2 design. SY-2 lacks Attack Bend Tone completely; instead the
Tone Bend section allows you to vary three out of the five filter envelope
parameters, namely Attack Time, Intensity (Attack Level) and Decay Time.
The other two parameters are always preset, namely Initial Level and
Release Time.

CSY-2 provides the same solo synthesizer controls as CSY-1 but with
different internal construction, as outlined in my previous post. It
evidently came last of all. Service manuals for the CSY-2 refer to the
CSY-2 Series; it came in CSY-2 and CSY-2A versions where there are more
Auto Bass Chord features in the CSY-2A. Some of the circuit boards in my
CSY-2 have locations where missing components would go.

Richard