[sdiy] DG409 blues

Donald Tillman don at till.com
Sun Feb 7 15:27:13 CET 2010

On Feb 6, 2010, at 12:31 PM, David G. Dixon wrote:

> Does anybody have any experience with or insight into the DG408/9
> analog
> multiplexers?  Specifically, I would like to know whether it is OK
> to put
> +15V into the logical inputs.

See the design note in my Quadrature Trapezoid VCO article:

    http://till.com/articles/QuadTrapVCO/vcocore.html

"There's nothing mentioned about this in the data sheet, but I found
out the hard way that the DG409 behaves badly when large voltage
swings (16.0 V in this case) are applied to the digital inputs.
Specifically the multiplexer deposits a substantial negative charge on
one of the capacitors during certain transistions.  So that's why the
zeners are there.  As a nice side effect the zeners minimize the size
of voltage transients in the circuit as well as minimizing current
transients that might affect the power supply."

   -- Don

--
Don Tillman
Palo Alto, California