[sdiy] scanned pots "jumping"

Dave Kendall davekendall at ntlworld.com
Wed Feb 3 15:35:37 CET 2010

Thanks.

I could have written that a bit clearer I guess. I leave the pots at
certain settings to prevent them jumping. The actual knobs are fine -
they don't move, only the parameters jump.
Interesting that it's a known technique to apply a LPF to the scanning
- the sounds and general build quality are good, I was surprised that
to see the jumping behaviour. Come to think of it, I've twice had to
disassemble it because a key stopped working. In each case a bit of
crud had got under the plastic membrane housing the 2 key contacts for
each key - this was enough to kill that key. Removing it fixed the
problem. I guess that's a mechanical issue - the membrane is not
entirely flush with the pcb - it has some small holes where I guess the
dust got in.

Shame that the software issue is there - is that sort of thing hard to
implement?

cheers,
Dave

On Feb 3, 2010, at 14:18, cheater cheater wrote:

> Dave,
> parallax mode is a way of processing the position of the knob. It
> requires the potentiometer to be scanned too.
>
> If the knobs jump around without you touching the synth at all, then
> the knobs are most probably jumping because they have no lag
> processor/low pass filter applied to them. If the knobs jump around
> when you hit the keyboard hard, then it's a mechanical issue that
> cannot be addressed in software.
>
> Either way this is not something that should be happening except in
> the cheapest equipment.
>
> D.
>
> On Wed, Feb 3, 2010 at 15:04, Dave Kendall <davekendall at ntlworld.com>
> wrote:
>> Hi all.
>>

>> Following on from the pots/vs. encoders thing, when playing a Nord
>> Electro
>> (with scanned pots, not in parallax mode) occasionally a parameter
>> setting
>> will jump, presuambly from the vibration of the instrument being
>> played
>> hard. I've got used to leaving the knobs in a "safe' position before
>> a gig
>> in case something drastic happens, which on occasion it has..
>>
>> Is this a common fault with such systems? FWIW, the machine did this
>> more
>> often when it was brand new...
>>
>> cheers,
>> Dave
>>
>> On Feb 3, 2010, at 00:35, Dave Manley wrote:
>>
>>> When an encoder becomes unreliable is it because
>>>
>>> 1. the switches are worn out
>>> 2. the switches are contaminated and need cleaning
>>> 3. the mechanical cam that operates the switches is worn out
>>> 4. debris from wear on the cam/switches is blocking the switch
>>> operation