[sdiy] MELF, Thick film, Thin film resistors.

karl dalen dalenkarl at yahoo.se
Mon Feb 1 00:10:25 CET 2010

>Schreiber <synth1 at airmail.net>

> MELF was *specifically* designed for automotive "under the hood"
> applications 15 years ago. SMT assemblers *HATE THEM*
> because the literally roll around.

This was what i had feared.I could see in front me resistor
that during soldering rolled over to the neighbor resistor
to create a nice short!

>The will stick OK in the solder paste, but
>there is NO REASON  to use them. Unless you are making anti-lock brakes :)

Well, assembling strictly one or two off's DIY
they could be easier to deal with flat 0805's.

Anyhow compared to Thick film they do have better specs lower ppm,
metal film, 1%, same price in 1000's. Actually i view MELF's as a
regular trough hole resistor as they seams to be manufacturer in
the same plant minus the welding of the legs.

But, thanks Paul and Tim for the info!

Reg
KD