[sdiy] Trimmers

Tim Ressel madhun2001 at yahoo.com
Sat Feb 28 17:46:05 CET 2009

The modern solution, from a manufacturing standpoint, is to use either DACs or digital pots to make the adjustments. A test station puts the instrument through a set of tests exercising various functions and determining the values for the DACs/pots.

Of course this adds cost to each unit. Sometimes it is cheaper to pay a worker to make the adjustments. In this case the test station facilitates the adjustments by showing a clear indication of which direction to turn the pot and when the adjustment is correct.

I like the solution where the thing adjusts itself. Imagine a VCO that could apply its own precise voltage and measure its own frequency. Or even better: a VCO that can measure the input voltage precisely and adjust itself on the fly all the time.

--TimR