[sdiy] SDIY MATH GOALS--need real help!

Dan Snazelle subjectivity at hotmail.com
Fri Feb 27 03:00:40 CET 2009

Ok

i feel i have gotten about as far as i can in understanding many electronic books and topics in the last few years without knowing ANY math beyond basic pre-algebra. I never took anything past algebra one in high school and that was in 1992 and i dont remember any of it.

i am very serious about electronics but no amount of will can make you suddenly GET math. So i need to do something.

the later electronotes are all math based.
the last 4 books i bought (which are all great) are full of stuff i cant touch due to trig and calculus.
my resoloution for 2009 is to get out of the math darkness.

SO.

to start i have bought

algebra dymystifed
technical math demystified
understanding basic electronics (which has a math chapter)

AND i am wondering what else should i read, or study?
AND WHAT MUST I KNOW?  is calc important? I know trig is.

ideally i would just like to get to a point where i know what i am seeing on the page well enough that i can get out a calculator and follow along in any good electronics book that is talking about filters. (for example).

i dont need to become a master at any of  the math. just good enough to not be so damn lost, and it is hard to even know which branch to start with (algebra?)

Did anyone else here on the list go through a similar phase when they got into electronics? I am too broke and busy right now to go back to school so I need to do this on my own.

So any advice, web pages,books, techniques, or words of discouragement are welcome.

thanks so much

check out various dan music at:

 http://www.myspace.com/lossnyc

(updated monthly)