[sdiy] The Dreaded ROHS

Simon Brouwer simon.oo.o at xs4all.nl
Tue Feb 17 12:04:50 CET 2009

Bob Weigel schreef:
> Simon Brouwer wrote:
>
>> Bob Weigel schreef:
>>
>>> For example I recently calculated that if 1 billion people of the
world drove some log truck that intakes .5 cf per rev (350 does .1 cf
per rev) of let's say..utterly polluted useless air (which isn't the
case..but..just say to get a concept) out the other side... and they
all drove them 10,000 miles per year... the total impact on the
atmosphere would be on the order of  1.7ppm

>> And you think that a yearly increase of that much CO2 in the
>> atmosphere will not have a large effect on global temperatures in the
long run?

>> 1.7 ppm may *sound* negligible but that doesn't mean that it *is*.
>>

> Well the thing is we have an earth that is full of processes of
> combustion.  The little ones people do in vehicles pale in comparison to
the ones nature does beneath the surface all the time.

Yeah, yeah, "volcanoes produce more CO2 than humans"... According to, for
example, the U.S. Geological Survey, it's simply not true: human
activities release *more than 130 times* the amount of CO2 emitted by
volcanoes. See
http://volcanoes.usgs.gov/hazards/gas/index.php#effects

All this being completely off topic here, I just want to say: a lot of
bogus claims are made in this debate. Don't take them at face value but
try to find out what scientific substance they have. *Then* draw your
conclusions, whatever they may be. I'd like to leave it at that.

--
Vriendelijke groet,

Simon Brouwer
-*- nl.openoffice.org -*- http://www.opentaal.org -*-