[sdiy] The Dreaded ROHS

David G. Dixon dixon at interchange.ubc.ca
Mon Feb 16 23:55:44 CET 2009

Not to add to the rant, but...

As anyone who has ever visited a third-world or eastern bloc country will
attest, there is only one sure-fire cure for pollution:

Affluence.

The worst polluting countries are those which are desperately trying
(through heavy industry) to convert soft currency (rupees, rubles, etc) into
hard currency (US dollars, British pounds, Japanese yen, etc).

Affluence is also a pretty good antidote to over-population.  How many
people do you know in your affluent countries with 8 children?  And yet,
think of sub-Saharan Africa, where many children (all starving) is the norm.
Or, think of your own ancestors.  You probably don't have to look too far
back to find someone in your ancestry who had 7 or 8 siblings.

The key to a sparkling clean planet is to make everybody rich, and then
allow them not to work for a living.

David G. Dixon
Professor
Department of Materials Engineering
University of British Columbia
309-6350 Stores Road
Vancouver, B.C. V6T 1Z4
Canada

Tel 1-604-822-3679
Fax 1-604-822-3619

"PERFECTA FINGAMUS SERVIAT NATURA"

intended solely for the attention and use of the named addressee(s).  It
must not be disclosed to any person without the writer's authority.  If you
are not the intended recipient, or a person responsible for delivering it to
the intended recipient, you are not authorized to and must not disclose,
copy, distribute, or retain this message or any part of it.