[sdiy] Tap Tempo LFO

Eric Brombaugh ebrombaugh1 at cox.net
Wed Dec 9 02:35:20 CET 2009

Interesting discussion.

Using a general-purpose MCU to create a clock for a BBD is probably out
of the question for most garden-variety processors. While a lot of them
have divider-based timing generators built-in, the high-frequency
resolution is probably not adequate to support decent timing & frequency
control at the rates needed to clock a BBD.

There is one part I can think of that might work for this:

http://www.analog.com/en/analog-microcontrollers/analog-microcontrollers/aduc7128/products/product.html

A little ARM processor with a built-in DDS that can run up to 21MHz with
0.005Hz resolution. Costs a bit more than you probably want to spend
though, and might need some fairly careful layout. OTOH, it's got decent
ADC on-chip and could make a very interesting Digital VCO besides its
application as a BBD clock.

Might be able to build a home-made DDS with an external CPLD though -
that would be a bit cheaper if you picked the right parts. Alternatively
you could use a cheap RF PLL chip (usually programmed via SPI) - those
would give great jitter-free clocks in a single external chip. They're
also doing some amazing things with programmable CMOS oscillators these
days that give wide frequency ranges in very small & inexpensive parts -
check out Silicon Labs 'Any-Rate' line for example.

Eric

>>> Tom