[sdiy] Tap Tempo LFO

Tom Wiltshire tom at electricdruid.net
Tue Dec 8 19:13:23 CET 2009

Florian,

It isn't impossible, but it's not straightforward.

The multiplier works by taking a raw frequency increment value and
multiplying it up to generate the final frequency increment that is
used for the oscillator. The table of raw increments on the chip is
based on values that are half what they should be, so a multiplier of
two gives you 'normal speed', and a multiplier of one gives you the
slowest speed of x0.5.

I had an earlier version that provided all sorts of odd dotted and
triplet times. This was based on a raw increment that was only 1/24th
of the normal value. However, this required a byte shift to maintain
accuracy, which isn't necessary with the current version.

If you were to change the multipliers in the table at the bottom of
the code to 1, 2, 4, 8, 16, and 32 and then add a bitshifting routine
at the end of the TempoMultiplication code, you'd get the effect
you're after. Alternatively, use a whole byte shift  to give /256
(quicker code) and adjust the multipliers to compensate.

HTH,
T.