[sdiy] sync circuit woes

Scott Gravenhorst music.maker at gte.net
Thu Nov 20 17:02:59 CET 2008

Tom Wiltshire <tom at electricdruid.net> wrote:

>On 20 Nov 2008, at 15:36, Dan Snazelle wrote:
>
>> the only real issue (and its not too big of a deal) is some
>> OVERLOADING in the mixer (audio summmer) circuit.
>>
>> its just a typical 100k summer like you would see on a vco but with
>> a 50k pot before each sum. it seems that with all the inputs being
>> quite loud (except the clean guitar which seems quiet in comparison
>> even though it has almost X10 of gain) when they all get past 5
>> there is some distortion that results.
>>
>> is this typical of an opamp mixer?
>
>It is if you're using it to mix a lot of +/-5V oscillator signals.
>You've only got (at most) 30V of headroom, so 10V signals will soon
>max it out. If you've got +/-10V signals, it'll be even worse. If
>you've got 100K input resistors, try reducing the op-amp's feedback
>resistor by a factor of 2 or 3 or 4.

I'd agree - I had a similar problem as I built up my first FatMan, I added a big
mixer, but couldn't turn all input sources up to max because of too much gain in the
summation opamp.  I took a variable route - I replaced the fixed opamp feedback
resistor which sets the gain to a pot.  Works great.  The new pot is an overall
mixer gain control.

As for the guitar input, I had one too, I put an opamp preamp in front of the
mixer's input resistor for that one input.

-- ScottG
-- Scott Gravenhorst
-- FPGA MIDI Synthesizer Information: home1.gte.net/res0658s/FPGA_synth/
-- FatMan: home1.gte.net/res0658s/fatman/
-- NonFatMan: home1.gte.net/res0658s/electronics/