[sdiy] sync circuit woes

David G. Dixon dixon at interchange.ubc.ca
Thu Nov 20 17:55:02 CET 2008

Dan,

I didn't see any 18 pF caps in the schematic.  However, the only timing cap
there is the 2200 pF in the sawtooth oscillator.  This cap sets the pitch of
the VCO.  All the other caps in the opamp feedback loops (the 22 pF and the
100 pF) are there to prevent spurious oscillations in those circuits.

I'm not a huge expert in this, but it would seem to me that if the only way
you could get a circuit such as this to work was by replacing a specified 18
pF cap with a 10 pF one (presumably in an opamp feedback loop), then either
the original cap was fried or the circuit design has serious issues.

David G. Dixon
Professor
Department of Materials Engineering
University of British Columbia
309-6350 Stores Road
Vancouver, B.C.  V6T 1Z4
Canada

Tel 1-604-822-3679
Fax 1-604-822-3619

"PERFECTA FINGAMUS SERVIAT NATURA"

intended solely for the attention and use of the named addressee(s).  It
must not be disclosed to any person without the writer's authority.  If you
are not the intended recipient, or a person responsible for delivering it to
the intended recipient, you are not authorized to and must not disclose,
copy, distribute, or retain this message or any part of it.