[sdiy] 2xD / Digital Module .. saving samples

Seb Francis seb at burnit.co.uk
Wed Nov 19 17:16:38 CET 2008

Jason Tribbeck wrote:
> Ahh, but the VDIP1 has the FAT12/16/32 filesystem already on it - you
> just give it DOS-like commands to navigate/load/save.
>
> It is a bit expensive, I have to grant you that though. But so is my
> time :)

Fair point!  Personally I don't think I will implement SD storage at
all, let alone FAT.  But I do want to keep the options open for use of
the hardware.

If I understand correctly the VDIP1 can be hooked up via SPI, so just as
easy to bolt on as an SD card socket, for anyone wishing to do so.

For myself I will probably use an on-board serial Flash RAM IC to store
samples, or possibly implement MIDI sample dump and save them with a
sequencer - this actually fits very well with the way I write music.

And for firmware updates I will personally use ICSP.

However, who knows what will be developed in the future .. especially if
I'm bored one day with time on my hands!  So the hardware being flexible
is the main thing.

Seb