[sdiy] 2xD / Digital Module .. saving samples

Seb Francis seb at burnit.co.uk
Wed Nov 19 16:33:59 CET 2008

Needham, Alan wrote:
> Would it be possible to use USB for the 'generic' RAM? Then it might be
> possible to save dozens of loops and trade them around??? A 1 gig stick
> is so cheap now.

It wouldn't be fast enough for the actual RAM used during sampling and
playback, but could be used for storing samples.  However I don't really
want to go there with USB.

A simpler solution would be to use SD/MMC cards which natively support
SPI (at 3.3V too!)  I don't want to include this on the PCB itself
though as the SD card socket should be panel mounted to be accessible.
But direct access to the dsPIC SPI pins will be provided, and literally
one can just hook up the SD card to the 3.3V, GND & SPI pins and it'll
work (with appropriate software).

Seb