[sdiy] buchla 200e power supply

mark verbos mverbos at earthlink.net
Wed Nov 19 07:21:22 CET 2008

Hi guys, sorry I'm late on this one....

The 2 unit case that Buchla is selling has a PCB with a PT6202A and a
PT5062A on it. These are a 5volt and +/-15 volt respectively DC-DC
converters. Also on that board is a simple passive circuit. The
signal from the 12 volt DC wallwart has a small electrolytic to
ground before it goes, before each converter, to a ceramic cap to
ground, then through a ferrite bead then another ceramic to ground,
then into the DC-DC converter. Each of the 3 outputs then goes
through a ceramic to ground, an electrolytic to ground then through a
ferrite bead, then a ceramic to ground before the power connector.
Sadly, I don't know what the values or part numbers of these parts
are. These are about $20 each.

The big 200e cases use Cincon DC-DC converters. I don't know the
model of them,but I can tell you that they are the big square ones
and it's 3 of 'em in there. I'm guessing CHB75 series, since they're
the biggest 12 volt input ones Mouser has. Those give out 15A at
5volts and 5A at 15 volts. I would guess they are similarly treated
as in the other cabinet, but I don't know. These are $83.85 each in
the latest Mouser catalog.

I have worked on a 259 module that was mounted in the smaller case
and it worked fine. No hi frequency bleed through, but the switching
frequency on these things is 300kHz or more, but I suppose there
could be some subharmonics that leak through. They have Thermal
shutdown, short circuit protection and over voltage protection built
in. They're likely much more GREEN and weigh much less than a linear
supply, plus easier to use in other countries. With a switching 12
volt wallwart, it could probably work with any voltage from 100-250.

Mark