[sdiy] Sampler mode...

Seb Francis seb at burnit.co.uk
Wed Nov 19 00:08:40 CET 2008

Jason Proctor wrote:
> i'd like to park an S612 behind an MOTM panel fer sure!
>
> how does one load samples? usb? sdcard?

No, this is a CV/GATE controlled device with no persistent memory.  So
you have to load your sample(s) into it each time you turn the power
off.  This is done by playing the audio into it at the same time as
sending a gate signal to start/stop recording.

This is easily accomplished with a computer based sequencer/recorder ...
- to 'save' a sample, output a MIDI note to the playback gate and record
the audio from the output
- to 'load' a sample, output the same MIDI note to the record gate and
play back the audio into the input

There's also the option of using external flash memory which saves with
the power off.  The module will allow direct access to the dsPIC SPI and
I2C pins so easy enough to add some external serial memory.  I probably
won't do this myself though.

Seb