[sdiy] Sampler mode...

Seb Francis seb at burnit.co.uk
Tue Nov 18 20:57:59 CET 2008

> In my experience, the effective resolution of a pot is on the
> order of 350 positions so some form of quantisation will be
> needed.

Well, from the point of view of the sample start point, a short attack
phase would eliminate any clicking, but for looping points it is much
more desirable to quantise to the zero-crossings as you suggest.

Quantising to the nearest zero-crossing has its challenges though: since
the sample data is stored in external SRAM it means doing potentially
quite a lot of SRAM reads to find the zero-crossing.  This will limit
the rate at which the sample point can be changed, especially when you
consider that start, end and loop start sample points can all be changed
simultaneously.  In actual fact it would be better to search for the
'next' rather than 'nearest' zero-crossing otherwise it doubles the
number of SRAM reads necessary.

It's doable, but some hysteresis of the CV inputs would be important
otherwise any ADC noise will burn lots of CPU time in looking for
nearest zero-crossings when the CV didn't really change.

Regarding control resolution from a pot: remember nothing stops you
using 2 pots - 1 coarse and 1 fine.  The ADCs are 12 bit, with I would
think 10 or 11 bit accuracy above the noise floor.  So with a couple of
stable pots that's at least 1024 positions.  Still going to benefit from
quantising to zero-crossings though.

Seb