[sdiy] Sampler mode...

Justin Owen juzowen at googlemail.com
Tue Nov 18 14:00:59 CET 2008

-----Original Message-----
From: Seb Francis [seb at burnit.co.uk]
To: Justin Owen
Cc: Synth DIY
Subject: Re: [sdiy] Sampler mode...

Justin Owen wrote:
>> A variation on this that makes for great rhythmic effects is to have the sampler in 'one-shot' mode with a playback start point that is definable by CV (or whatever) and the playback length (i.e. the amount of the sample that is played back) set to musical note lengths based on your sequencer tempo.
>>
>> That way a note on message every eighth note could trigger playback of a section of the sample that lasted a sixteenth note and the playback start point could be cycled back and forth using a sine/triangle, sample and hold, etc.
>>

>Rather than trying to 'sync' note length to the sequencer tempo, you
could simply trigger the sample with a gate pulse that is the desired
length.  In your example a square wave gate signal with 8th note
frequency and 50% duty cycle.

Sure, that'd work - you'd still need to 'sync' the gate signal to the tempo though wouldn't you - presuming you want to be able to play back samples in sync with other instruments? Otherwise how long (i.e. note length) would 50% be?

It was more about suggesting a feature/technique that I've had a lot of use out of.

Justin