[sdiy] keeping signals seperate..avoiding noise

harrybissell at wowway.com harrybissell at wowway.com
Mon Nov 17 15:38:37 CET 2008

For 1/4" jacks I use nylon shoulder washers to insulate
the metal shell from the panel, then wire grounds to the
jacks (NOT the panel). Its very quiet that way, the panel
is electrically isolated.

Switchcraft (and probably others) makes jacks that have nylon
threads, but they are mechanically very weak and prone to
break imho...

H^) harry

On Sat, 15 Nov 2008 23:56:32 +0100, Simon Brouwer wrote
> Seb Francis schreef:
> > Simon Brouwer wrote:
> >> IMO in synthesizer modules the ground of a module should never be
> >> connected to its metal panel. The panel should be isolated from the
> >> module.
> >
> > Easier said than done though when using metal panels with metal
> > sockets...
> Actually it's *very* easy. Just don't connect the outside conductor
> of the sockets, if they aren't isolated from the metal panel, to the
> ground of the module. Maybe this sounds counterintuitive, but the
> metal panel will already be grounded, through the mounting rails, to
> the star point. As there are no currents flowing through the panels,
> it will be as solid a ground as any you can find as a starting point
> for your cable shield.
>
> --
> Vriendelijke groet,
> Simon