[sdiy] Group buys: Alpha-style, dual pots, and Joysticks (WAS: RE: Dual-gang reverse-log pot group buy ?)

flightofharmony flight at flightofharmony.com
Mon Nov 17 15:23:55 CET 2008

Hey, if there's enough, I'm up for it!

And, I've actually found much better pricing:
Song-Huei quoted $0.16 each for 1000. They sent me some samples too, very
nice! Identical to Alpha, except their washers are a much tighter tolerance
so they pretty much stay centered without having to hold them while
tightening the nuts.
Even better, G&H quoted me $0.099 each at 1000 MOQ! Harvestman told me about
them and let me check out a sample - I didn't think to check the washers,
but they are also just like the Alphas in feel and build. They also carry
those Illuminated caseless slide-pots I was hunting.

Dual pots: I've been hunting for affordable concentric-shaft duals, and
finally found some. Top-up has these 9mm duals:
http://top-up.so-buy.com/front/bin/ptdetail.phtml?Part=9MM2HB-B&Category=606
55, and quoted $1.21 each at MOQ 1000. I was planning on getting B100k/B100k
pots for Coarse/Fine control on the upcoming Imp module.

Joysticks: I finally found these people and got a quote! This has been a
long quest, but they are worth it. These are the joysticks I use in the
Infernal Noise Machine (big one on the right):
http://www.flightofharmony.com/images/Stuff/Joysticks.jpg. They have a 90°
arc of travel and are the SMOOTHEST feeling joysticks I have ever used. For
the large, I was quoted $13.10 each for 500 for B100k, no center-return
spring, with knob. The small, same options, is $12.48. The USD is rather
unstable compared to the Yen right now, so the price will fluctuate a bit.
The standard resistance value for the joysticks is B10k. The pots are built
for each model - the large ones have pots that go from 0-->Rmax in 90°, the
smalls in 60°.
I've been drumming up interest in these on Muffwiggler and we're off to a
good start. The plan is to make the purchase in January.

~flight
flight at flightofharmony.com
http://www.flightofharmony.com