[sdiy] Xarp-56

Tom Wiltshire tom at electricdruid.net
Mon Nov 17 15:01:27 CET 2008

Scott,

Well, you've done it again! Excellent work, congratulations.

How much control do you have over the model? I notice there seems to
be a very long decay on the lower notes, which makes the sound quite
"boomy" at the bottom, and not as "plinky" as I'd expect a harp to
be. Presumably the actual _shape_ of decay curves and such like is a
characteristic of the model, rather than something that is easily
modified as a parameter. Is this correct?

I was also interested to see that you've tried decimation. How did
you get on? What filter did you use? How did you derive it?
I'm particularly interested in this since I'm wondering about trying
to do a 6 or 8-operator FM synth voice on these dsPIC chips I'm
playing with, and running that at a higher internal sample rate would
help with aliasing a lot (assuming I can squeeze the maths into the
available time).

One day I'm going to have to stop messing about with general-purpose
hardware and start designing some custom stuff with FPGAs, like
you've managed to do. It's very inspiring stuff.

Regards,
Tom