[sdiy] Beginners guide to ATMEL programming?

ChristianH chris at chrismusic.de
Mon Nov 17 12:10:17 CET 2008

Same here. I started with AVR assembler, and found it to be quite nice.
But once I tried the WinAVR compiler, I never looked back.

What surprised my in an unexpected positive way: I installed the
Compiler in its own default disk folder without telling it about the
STK500, but the next time I started the Atmel software, it simply asked
if I wanted to to a new project in assembler or C. Chose C, and it
worked.
Using software can be so easy ;-)  At least sometimes...

Besides, within the WinAVR package, there are some examples as well.

Chris

P.S.: careful with all those fuse settings. I recently set an AVR chip
to external crystal clock, because it was to be used ona board that way.
But the very moment you do this, you can't talk to it anymore from the
STK500. Unless you feed some clock to the crystal osc input pin. Which I
did, using an alligator clip, long enough to reset the clock setting
back.
However, now I include an 6 pin IPS connector on all my own AVR boards
for in circuit programming via the STK. Works like a charm.