[sdiy] Beginners guide to ATMEL programming?

Csaba Zvekan czvekan at gmail.com
Mon Nov 17 10:14:36 CET 2008

Hi Julian,

C for PIC's and ATMEL is actually pretty easy  once you worked with it
for a while. Like with everything practice,practice & learn.
I started out with http://mikroe.com  's Basic compilers then neared
the C compiler. And the difference is mostly synthax.
But I am no expert there are people out there that do everything in
Assembler which I don't think is very good idea for a beginner.
The  avrfreak.net  group would be the people you have to deal with ,
when you choose Atmel. In my opinion they are not very nice and
patient to newbies. But see how it goes.
I found Microchips support way better than the ATMELs . But since you
have the dev. board already you might as well start with that.
Now you work yourself into the GCC libraries and learn C. Get yourself
a book or print out the User manual and libraries of GCC for AVR.
That's what I did.

Good Luck and Fun

Csaba