[sdiy] MIDI with +3.3V supply

David Brown davebr at earthlink.net
Sun Nov 16 00:18:21 CET 2008

Not a lot of experience but some ...

I designed a MIDI processor that is self-powered from the MIDI
signal.  The power supply is unregulated but is around 4 volts or
so.  I dropped the two output resistors to 150R.

In your calculation, remember that the driver doesn't pull the output
to 0 volts but more like 0.3 volts.  (4 - 0.3 - 1.3) / (150+150+220) = 4.6 mA

It's worked on everything I've used it with.  Not a single problem.
http://modularsynthesis.com/processor/processor.htm

Dave