[sdiy] Screwed Up LCD Pic? - And East Coast Environment Destroys Gear

Scott Nordlund gsn10 at hotmail.com
Sat Nov 15 08:35:25 CET 2008

I lived for years in Charleston, SC (which I expect would be more humid than central NC) without any of the problems that you describe.  Of course I've never owned a harpsichord, but I wouldn't expect it to self-destruct.  I also never had to worry about ESD.

Also I hate to say it, but if you're depending on such old computers
for important tasks, maybe you should get out of the 80's.  I know it's
a taboo subject for anyone who likes playing with old gear, but doing
anything that depends on floppy disks isn't really a great idea if and
when there are practical alternatives available.

About the LCD thing, early LCDs (70's era particularly) were kind of unstable and tended to die like that.  Storage in high-heat environments or exposure to sunlight were/are big risk factors.  It's probably not attributable to humidity.   It may also be a problem with one of the polarizing plastic layers becoming un-stuck or degrading.  You could replace the LCD (if you can find the part), or, again, get out of the 80's.