[sdiy] Screwed Up LCD Pic? - And East Coast Environment Destroys Gear

Ken Elhardt ken.elhardt at gmail.com
Fri Nov 14 21:23:05 CET 2008

After moving from Southern California to North Carolina, I've had a
number of strange things happen to various pieces of gear.  Just a few
days ago I discovered my biggest loss: Two Franklin Ace 1000 (Apple II
compatible) computers ruined because every single key on both of them
went bad.  Four Apple II compatible floppy drives tried with two
different controller cards and not a single one would boot up from a
number of different disks.  S-50 sampler disk drive goes flakey with
disk errors when it hasn't even been used (afraid to try my Atari St
drives), finish on piano module ruined by some kind of mold, almost
all the keys on my harpsichord don't pop up after being pushed down,
camcorder problems, laser printer, and so on.  You don't use something
so preserve it, and instead it stops working while just sitting there.
 What a hole this place is for modern living.

Below is a picture of another one of those problems I'd like an
explanation for.  I bought this expensive West German multimeter about
25+ years ago and it's been fine all that time until about a year ago,
when I go down to my family room to grab it to measure something and
the LCD display is totally screwed up.  I don't get it.  What causes
this?  Is it fixable or does it need to be replaced to fix it?

http://i127.photobucket.com/albums/p122/Elhardt/Misc/Multimeter.jpg

-Elhardt