[sdiy] SMD part availability, manufacture

Seb Francis seb at burnit.co.uk
Thu Nov 13 01:31:09 CET 2008

Hi,

Thanks for all the replies on this.

Regarding resistors: I'm aware that the values I need are all within the
standard E96 series and so are definitely manufactured.  But I still
haven't been able to find anywhere actually stocking them.  I tried 715R
as an example and couldn't find any from either Farnell or Rapid.  Still
maybe like John said it's not going to make much difference using the
nearest values from the E24 series .. something to  try on the breadboard.

For the power supply regulators, I've been looking at low dropout ICs
and these seem pretty cool.  Am I really understanding it right that
they can work with a output-input of down to like 0.2V.  This would mean
only a tiny amount of heat dissipation so no need for any heatsinking.
Are there any disadvantages to these compared to standard linear
regulators which need typically 2.5V output-input differential?

And good that SMD headers are easily available, although I feel a bit
wary of using them for connections that might get plugged and unplugged
a lot.  Since I'm sure many people would be happy wiring all panel
controls, inputs, etc. direct to the board, perhaps I don't need to
bother with headers.  Can just have 0.1" pitch holes and leave it up to
people what they do with them.

The polypropylene capacitor thing seems to be solved .. I read the CODEC
datasheet again and it's specifying C0G dieletric which seems easily
available in SMD even in the biggest 6.8nF.  It was because I wanted to
used thru-hole before that I ended up with polypropylene (which do look
nice and colourful!)

Seb