[sdiy] dsPIC33 question..

Tom Wiltshire tom at electricdruid.net
Wed Nov 12 13:50:22 CET 2008

Seb,

It sounds like a great box.

Please try and keep the hardware as universal as you can, 'cos people
round here have been talking about a universal digital module
platform for some time, and it sounds a bit like you're designing
one. Audio in and out, plus a load of CV and digital inputs for
control, with a decently powerful processor and some external RAM -
sounds pretty universal, right?

I've used the dsPIC 33FJ128GP802 recently for the DWGS dual
oscillator project that I'm working on. It's one of the new 28-pin
chips with a DAC onboard, so it's great for what I need.
I've found the 33F chips very easy to use, and no different from the
30F series, except in details (and power consumption). The 33F chips
have DMA channels for example, which is something new to learn.
Certainly the code is identical.

Definitely stick a ICSP socket on it. My programmer uses RJ11 plugs
to connect between the programmer and various ZIF sockets for
different uPs. Consequently, I've started putting RJ11 programming
sockets on my projects. The plugs cost more than a simple 6-pin
header, but it's much easier to plug in and out.
I agree with you about USB too - for now, it's too much to learn.
I've wondered about getting stuck into it and trying to do USB MIDI
like a lot of modern synths have, but frankly I have enough else to
learn already!

Keep up the good work, Seb!

Regards,
Tom