[sdiy] LFO's showing up on VCO

Sean Ellis tensiontype at hotmail.com
Tue Nov 11 22:41:42 CET 2008

I built an ASM-1 and the rather poorly designed SBM from EFM (I doubt many
people actually finished one these to 100% operation) and in both problems
like this were traced to poor grounding. Make sure you run a generous amount
of the panel grounds back to the power supply. At first I treated all ground
connections the same with front panel wiring but with the SBM I had to
separate every module's ground connector and give each one a dedicated wire
to a central ground location just near the power supply. It fixed this type
of cross modulation.

There were many other issues with the SBM that were related to power supply
alone. There was just too little trace space allocated to power and in
particular ground signals. The ASM-1 wasn't nearly as bad and was a pretty
painless build.