[sdiy] Looking to put together Blacet modular synth, where to start?

David Ingebretsen dingebre at 3dphysics.net
Tue Nov 11 20:02:50 CET 2008

You need 3 or 4 basic modules:

VCO- you need to make a sound
VFC- you need to modify, texture, the sound
Envelope Generator- you need to sweep/control the sound (2 are nice if you
can. One for the filter and one for the VCA)
VCA- you need to control the amplitude

With these four, you can have a basic voice.

I swear I read on Wendy Carlos' site that odd numbers of oscillators mixed
together sound best with 5 being an optimum number, but I can't find it
anymore. But assuming my memory still kind of works, your next step would be
to add two more VCO's and a mixer.

Then, in the future, you can add other sound sources and signal modifiers,
like filters, phase shifters, "wave multipliers", chorus, etc.

My 2 cents.

David

David M. Ingebretsen M.S., M.E.
Collision Forensics & Engineering, Inc.