[sdiy] good modular kit for a noob?

lief codianni lief138 at yahoo.com
Tue Nov 11 19:40:55 CET 2008

I think the Paia Fatman should not be overlooked. It is important to remember that this is a noob we are talking about here. The Blacet, MFOS, CGS etc stuff is really great, but even if the kits are had from brideschamber or what have you, you still have the problem of building up everything else you need. ie. case power supply midi-cv etc. Lets not forget the front panel.
Going with the fatman you get all the pieces including the panel and case in one package. As pointed out the directions are quite good. And although the finished product is no MOTM to be sure, a noob could feel very satisfied with the results of having some thing that actually works and is complete when its over. I believe Paia will fix it when it gets broken also.
I think the fatman is a great entry choice price wise and feature wise. The manual will give some instruction on how to use it and what the parts do, which is also good for a noob. After its built, if more SDIY spirit is to be had, said noob could head over to Scott's wonderful Fatman site and bring the fatman to the next level.

I am cetainly not knocking any of the other companies and peoples, there are tons of awsome products to be had, but the fatman is cheap and complete and gets you going with a lesson to boot.

I am surprised noone else has mentioned the fatman.

 "If we don't believe in freedom of expression for
people we despise, we don't believe in it at all."
-Noam Chomsky

"Sell not virtue to purchase wealth, nor Liberty to purchase power."
-Benjamin Franklin