[sdiy] wiring is hard!! advice?

nicolas nicolas3141 at yahoo.com.au
Wed Nov 5 20:50:51 CET 2008

Having quite a few colours of wire is very helpful.  Because you want to try and pull all the wires into a single bundle if you can as they leave the big board.  Cut your wire with plenty of length so that every connection on the big board can go to that common point (close to one corner of the board is best), be grabbed in a tie of some kind, and then go off to the panel.  Like a kind of stiff pony tail.  That way you can 'hinge' the board and panel at that point and bend or twist them this way and that to get at things without having to desolder (or break) any wires.  If you have to desolder things to fix faults you will get very frustrated because fixing one fault will cause you to introduce another fault elsewhere.

Take your time and keep your brain switched on.  Panel wiring is tedious, but very easy to get wrong.  I think I get up to 10% of my connections wrong on the first attempt and with my students I think its more like 30%.  And we do our panels in much smaller modular chunks than what you are doing.

Cheers,
Nicolas