[sdiy] PCB layout question

harrybissell at wowway.com harrybissell at wowway.com
Tue Nov 4 19:17:40 CET 2008

LOL...

YOU (Ian) don't need decoupling caps because your electrical layout is usually
pretty good.

You can argue (correctly) that using bypass caps to cover up a BAD
layout is not a good or proper use of decoupling.

I have found that even with a decent board there can be a lot of interaction
at the power supply pins... especially with those switching a lot of
current (555 'shoot-through' anyone ?)

I have found that too few decoupling caps is asking for trouble... too many
is just a waste of space and money.  I'd rather over-do it. Your mileage may
vary...

H^) harry

On Sat, 01 Nov 2008 08:22:51 -0600, Ian Fritz wrote