[sdiy] A transformer question.

Tom Wiltshire tom at electricdruid.net
Tue Nov 4 13:09:26 CET 2008

On 4 Nov 2008, at 12:00, Jason Tribbeck wrote:

> Hi,
>
>> UK mains voltage got standardised to the rest of Europe in the '90s,
>> I think. It used to be 240V, but is now 230V.
>
> According to my EMC book, it was 3rd January 2003 :)

Thanks Jason. I've just read a few minutes ago that the change was
mainly on paper, since the electricity board didn't particularly want
to go around the country taking a few turns off every transformer up
every electricity pylon. Instead, they changed the spec, but left the
equipment, so if you test the UK mains with a voltmeter, you're
likely to still get close to 240V.
I don't know whether new equipment is designed to produce 230 or 240V
though.

Consequently, you're still looking at 240V in the UK for most purposes.

T.